Fogo Island - 236 Main Road, Joe Batt’s Arm, Fogo Island, NL A0G 2XO
May 1st to Sept 30th
The “Fisherman’s Hall”, as it is called locally, was built in 1909 as the home of the SUF fraternal organization (Society of United Fisherman) in the community of Barr’d Islands. The organization helped provide mutual support to all it’s members if unfortunate luck struck a member and the place supported the community with a venue for gathering.
After Newfoundland & Labrador joined Confederation and access to more social services was available the union faded. The space was used as a cinema, teen hangout, and storage centre, before it fell out of use. As Shorefast started construction of the Inn it became the home to Fogo Island Workshops, and slowly the building was returned to its former glory.
The most magical woodshop South of Santa’s now occupies the first floor. The second floor is our Design Centre, home to exhibitions and experiences on the modern architecture and design of Fogo Island aside a small shop of items produced.
Hours of Operation
Tours of Design Centre & Woodshop
Daily at 12:30 pm
2nd Floor Design Centre & Gift Shop
Daily 12:30 pm - 2 pm
Enter at rear of building up stairs to the second floor
Please contact us if you have accessibility concerns